Wednesday 18 December 2013

Penguins Stadium Series Jersey

The most recent team to reveal their Stadium Series jersey for 2014 was the Pittsburgh Penguins. In my opinion, this has been the best Stadium Series jersey so far. Of course, it's not without its faults.



Pros
- I like that this jersey isn't too crazy, while at the same time it can show off some of the elements Reebok was looking to use with the SS (Stadium Series) jerseys
- I'm really enjoying this style of yoke that LA, the Islanders, and now Pittsburgh will be using
- I like the dash of gold on the back side of the yoke
- I actually like the collar and how the gold trim stops on the back where the yokes end
- From my point of view, this jersey gives a slight nod back to the '93 "Robo-Pens" jersey. Mainly from the yokes that come to a point
- Angled arm and hem stripes. They fit the Penguins well
- No laces! This jerseys doesn't need laces to be good and I'm glad Reebok didn't put them on there just because they're trendy


Cons
- Dash of gold only appears on the back of the yoke. I want it on the front as well
- Chrome logo. These are stupid, but we have to live with them for now
- Arm stripes are cut off. I like that they are angled, but don't cut them off!
- Angled TV numbers. As I've said before, this is too gimmicky
- Elongated player numbers. It looks like someone had a slip of the hand with their computer mouse when designing and no one fixed it

I sincerely hope that the Penguins can use this SS jersey as inspiration for a new alternate sweater for the 2014-15 NHL season. Perhaps a black version? Below, you'll find a mock-up of something more simple that the Penguins could have used for their game at Soldier Field in Chicago on March 1st.

My rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment